Blue Horizon Eating Disorder Services is exclusively committed to the professional treatment of those suffering with eating disorders and moving them toward full recovery.
Blue Horizon hosts a support group for those who wish to compliment their continuing recovery with additional support. The group is not limited to former patients and anyone who feels they would benefit from it are more than welcome to join. Each week a therapist and dietitian help guide the group’s members through the management of their continued recovery and help them to achieve their mind, body, and spirit restoration. Before someone gets started in the group we do a short assessment just to get to know them and the nature of their eating disorder history.
An evening with the facts
An Evening with The Facts is a free monthly educational workshop for support people of those suffering with an eating disorder (family members, friends, co-workers, etc). The workshop falls on the third Tuesday of every month, from 6:30–8 p.m., and is facilitated by a licensed therapist and registered dietitian. In this workshop, attendees can expect to gain further understanding of eating disorders, learn helpful tools to best support, respond, and cope, and share and connect with others who are experiencing similar concerns. The workshop is open to the community. Please call Blue Horizon directly or email at BHEDadmin@bluehorizoned.com with additional questions, or if you would like to RSVP for an upcoming event.
Family advocacy group
Blue Horizon’s family advocacy group is made up of family members and friends of past and present Blue Horizon patients willing to offer support and assistance to others who have a loved one in recovery. Our family advocates are here to help you navigate through the treatment process and offer support. Hearing just a few words from a family member who has walked this path with a loved one can provide a unique dimension of support. Our group meets quarterly, every March, June, September, and December. Meetings consist of a business meeting for our advocates followed by an information session led by a Blue Horizon therapist and dietitian on various eating disorder related topics.
Blue Horizon is proud to provide training and education in the treatment or eating disorders to the Central Florida medical community. Our medical community outreach consists of:
- Grand rounds lecture series for area hospitals
- Physician resident rotation experience, an organized curriculum consisting of:
- Lecture and training in medical complications and treatment modalities
- Understanding the role of the physician through observation of staffing of cases
- Observation of process groups, meal exposures and therapy / nutrition education activities
Case management services at Blue Horizon are to assist counselors, physicians, teachers, family members, and patients in locating appropriate treatment for those with eating disorders.
Services include but are not limited to:
- Assessment and evaluation services
- Outpatient treatment plan for those not meeting criteria for intensive treatment
- Provision of updated information on treatment centers offering higher levels of care
- Locating and matching the appropriate treatment center to fit patient needs
- Assistance in coordinating with treatment centers throughout the admission process
- Assistance with basic insurance guidance
- Assistance with how to maximize benefits and other possible resources of financial support
Workshops and in-services
On-site training program for schools, colleges and universities, medical practices, counselors and therapists, dietitians, and hospitals to assist in the recognition and treatment modalities of eating disorders.
In-service options include but are not limited to:
- 1-hour lunch and learn
- 3-hour workshop that can be held during or outside of business hours
- Packet of materials designed for screening and evaluation purposes
- Individualized in-service designed to meet needs of your practice or business